Today is Blog Action Day, and it’s all about the environment. And if you are looking for environmentally friendly investing ideas, I have five that might help you get started.
- Renewable Energy Funds. These are funds that are invested in renewable energy companies and companies that supply the renewable energy industry. They include mutual funds and exchange traded funds.
- Solar Power. Solar energy is one of those technologies that seems to be poised to really take off. Some Solar stocks are doing pretty well right now, and some are great bargains that COULD do well in the future.
- Micro Loans. In many cases, investing in micro loans means that you are investing in small companies and entrepreneurs that do not have large scale operations that damage the environment. And you are being extra socially responsible because you are helping the poverty stricken as well.
- Biofuels. Technology is making it possible to create better and more efficient methods of creating biofuels. These biofuels, which include jatropha, which is not only a clean fuel, but also replenishes the environment. Other biofuels include biodiesel and ethanol.
- Companies with sound environmental practices. Another way to invest is to look at a company’s environmental track record. Companies like Nike and Google both have commitments to eco-friendly practices. And there are mutual funds that take this into account, allowing you to invest in several solid companies that also have a solid record of trying to improve the planet.
A great resource that can open your eyes to other environmentally friendly investing ideas and opportunities is The Clean Tech Revolution.
Disclaimer: I am an amateur, not an investing professional. All investment carries risk. Alternative energy investing, which is newer and based on future technology and the further development of current technology, can be volatile, and hence carry more risk. Do your own research and/or consult with an investing professional before making decisions with your investment portfolio.