Steve Tobak is managing partner of Invisor Consulting LLC. He is a member of the CNET Blog Network, where he writes a great blog on corporate behavior. His latest missive is a pithy list of ways to maximize meetings.
I’ve condensed these for your ease. However, Tobak does it better than I ever could, and I highly recommend reading the whole article.
3 Rules of Meeting Etiquette:
- Start on time and end on time.
- The leader needs to lead. This means keeping speakers on point and keeping the progress going.
- Type up and circulate key decisions within one day.
4 Rules for Effective Meetings:
- Listen well and only speak if you have something valuable to contribute.
- Creativity is good. Uncooperative criticism is bad. Compromise is necessary.
- Stay on topic.
- Don’t hold back, bullshit, or sugar-coat issues.