Want to target a new market? There’s a great opportunity for just about any business to focus on the baby boomer generation. 76 million strong, baby boomers are the generation that was born from 1946 to 1964. You may even be one of them. It’s the generation that brought sex, drugs and rock and roll to the forefront of the news. Rebellion was the mantra for the boomer generation. And this is the group that advised “don’t trust anyone over 30” whose population is now all over 40 with the top boomers tipping the age scale at 60 this year.
This generation of people won’t be content to continue in their parent’s shoes. They cringe at being called seniors! Most of the fifty somethings barely consider themselves middle aged (and they’d have to live to be at least 100 for that to be true).
So what does that mean for you? Here are a few ideas as starters. Take a look at what you currently offer in your business and see if you can’t make a few tweaks to capture this huge target audience.
- Help boomers retain their youthful looks
- Create a way for boomers to channel that renegade energy
- Appeal to the boomers “I want to make a difference” approach
- Tap into the curiosity of the boomer generation by offering new and improved opportunities
Need more ideas? Here are a few baby boomer focused resources.
- The Boomer Project — Marketing to the boomer generation.
- Baby Boomer Headquarters — A hodge podge of information and resources for baby boomers.
- Aging Hipsters — Trends, research, comments and discussion of and by people born from 1946 – 1964
What about you? Do you have any suggestions for tapping this great resource to grow your business? Leave me a comment.