Let’s talk turkey: How do you turn blog content into cash?
On our Massive Online Visibility teleseminar last week we got a lot of questions from the 600 people registered for the call. What came up frequently is how to increase traffic to a blog. But what’s that about, really? Traffic is only an indicator of numbers of eyeballs. What really counts is action and sales.
I believe that underlying that question is the desire to unravel the mysterious link between content and cash. As one caller put it, what are the “5 most important things a person new to blogging, article writing, ebook writing, etc. should do, and in what order, what would they be?”
Here we go:
1. Make a list of keywords you will be writing about in your niche. This may be similar to your categories and your cornerstone content. What do your ideal clients most want to know? Do some keyword research to find out how exactly people are searching for information (www.freekeywords.wordtracker.com)
2. Write headlines and blog posts using those keyword phrases at least 2-3 times a week – more often if possible. The more you post on your blog, the more your content will get indexed by the search engines and the better chances you have of getting found.
=>The #1 way of increasing traffic to your blog: post frequent content.
=>The #2 way to improve traffic is to comment on other blogs in your field.
3. Write a series of blog posts on a topic. Each one can be repurposed into a longer article (400-500 words or more) and submitted to article directories for more search engine juice.
4. Aggregate your articles in this series into a “how-to” ebook, or ecourse. Offer to give it away free on your blog. Collect email addresses of everyone who downloads it.
5. Offer a free teleseminar to those on your list. Use the free teleseminar to upsell those interested into a program for a fee (a teleseminar series, a coaching program, or an event).