If you’re in business for yourself, you’re probably pretty excited when a prospect calls you, instead of the other way around. The only downside is if you aren’t prepared ahead of time with what to say.
Here’s what to do with that all-important call:
1. Ask your prospect what prompted them to call today.
2. As they respond, listen for need, emotion, and urgency.
3. Acknowledge what you heard, as in, “I understand why you called now. I’m so glad you decided to reach out. You really sound ready to make this decision.”
4. Then ask this question: “Are you very familiar with our products and services?”
5. Listen again carefully to the answer. Is there a connection you might have in common with this person, a way to deepen the new relationship?
6. Whatever the response, ask this next question: “May I take a few moments to make you comfortable with what we do?”
7. While explaining your business briefly, be sure to highlight the benefits that only you offer to meet this prospect’s needs.
8. Then gently move your prospect to the next step in your sales process.
Flo Schell, EdM, is former vice president of Franchise Development for Sylvan Learning Systems Inc. and founder of Franchise Coaching Systems. She has also written a book, Stop Selling: Start Clicking, that explains her successful sales process. To learn more about the services offered by Franchise Coaching Systems, visit FloSchell.com.