– Lease term. The length of the lease will affect the amount of your monthly payment, with a longer lease term meaning a lower monthly rent.
– Up-front payment. Can you reduce the up-front payment and amortize it over the life of the lease?
– Monthly payments. You can analyze the amount of the payment by determining the interest factor associated with the lease.
– Return rights. For vendor-leased equipment, under what circumstances can you return the equipment if there are problems?
– Early termination. Most lessors will be reluctant to do this, but you may be able to negotiate an early termination right in exchange for paying a fee.
– Option to purchase. Equipment lessors will often give you this right at the end of the lease term, usually for a fixed price (e.g., 10 percent of the purchase price of the equipment) or at fair market value.