Last week at the WebmasterWorld Pubcon conference in Las Vegas, Yahoo announced the launch of their new search advertising platform known by most in the industry by it’s development name, Panama. Yahoo sponsored a lunch during the conference and had a panel of representatives walk through the features and take audience questions.
One of those panel members was John Slade, Senior Director of Global Product Management for Yahoo!. I was able to secure an interview with John where he outlined the upgrade process, how the new platform is different than the Yahoo legacy search advertising platform and how hit differs from Google AdWords.
Here are several of the questions John answered::
What are the major differences between the new advertising platform and Yahoo!´s legacy product?
The new platform represents an especially major breakthrough for advertisers because it´s:
* Easier and More Effective: Yahoo! consulted hundreds of advertisers to develop a campaign management work flow that is more intuitive and will provide more effective controls and tools than other competitive products.
* Action and insight-oriented: Our new campaign management application will provide advertisers with more visibility and insight into their performance and more control over how to improve it. This ultimately provides Yahoo! users with a better online experience.
* Built for the future: With the launch of this new platform, Yahoo! will in the future be able to provide advertisers with many more targeting, format and distribution options.
What are the fundamental differences between the new Yahoo! Search Advertising platform and Google AdWords? What are the competitive advantages?
The new platform allows advertisers to:
* See what kind of volume of leads is available for any given campaign or ad
* Understand how search marketing campaigns impact immediate and deferred transactions
* Define a standard business goal like "Cost Per Action" (CPA), then let the system automatically find the most cost-effective way to deliver against that goal
* Take action on campaigns at the very point of insight
* Manage campaigns with the level of control and at the level you want with the tools that best fit their needs/experience
It’s a short and fairly “light” interview, but a good one all the same. More information about upgrading your Yahoo Search Marketing account is available at newsponsoredsearch.yahoo.com and you can read the Yahoo Search Marketing Blog for other announcements.