This is a beginning of my series on productivity. Productivity issues permeate every area of the business, from operations to business development, and from individual to organizational performance. As a virtual assistant, I get to touch all of these areas to help my clients succeed. I am going to tackle all of these areas in my blog, starting with business development. The reason I started with business development is two-fold. One reason is that business development is the driver of business growth. Without business development there is no oxygen coming into the business – it either grows and breathes fresh air or stays stagnate and eventually dies. I will bring up productivity in the context of business development.
I will first tackle business development in the government arena. Again, for two reasons. 1. I get a lot of questions from business owners regarding this area. 2. Government business development, because of the federal market’s complexities, has matured business development a lot more than the commercial sector – so there is a lot more to learn.
To bring you the most value, I am going to draw upon the expertise of my long-time colleague and personal friend, Olessia Smotrova-Taylor. Olessia is president & CEO of OST Global Solutions, Inc., and is known to many as the “Go-to Gal” for capture & proposal management services. Olessia Smotrova-Taylor is the President and CEO of OST. She is a practicing capture and proposal manager who won more than $16 Billion in new business. As one of the proposal industry leaders, she is on the Board of Directors of the Association of Proposal Management Professionals’ (APMP) National Capital Area (NCA) chapter. She has 15 years of experience in proposal and capture management, marketing, and communications. She is a prolific author, speaker, trainer, and blogger, well-known in the global proposal community. Her book and CD, Executive Summary Secrets, sells worldwide. Prior to starting her own consulting company, she won business for Raytheon and Lockheed Martin, and wrote for the Financial Times of London.
Olessia shares with us 10 tips for winning government contracts whether you are new to the federal market or already have a few contracts under your belt!
So, here are the 10 tips:
1. Understand the full gamut of federal market opportunities and where your business could benefit from these.
2. Understand the full cycle of business development.
3. Market to the government effectively.
4. Do your market research well to select the right opportunities.
5. Run a comprehensive capture effort.
6. Implement a rigorous bid-no-bid decision process.
7. Understand how to write winning government proposals to get your win rate into the high seventies percentile, on par with the top government contractors.
8. Go for the gold in every area of the proposal.
9. Resource your proposals to win.
10. Create a proposal center with the processes and collateral to turn your business into a winning machine.
Priscilla Walker is the president and CEO of Your Dependable VA, Inc., a virtual assistance company. Your Dependable VA provides professional administrative and social media marketing assistance to small businesses. We offer business support so that business owners can free up their time and energy to focus on running their companies without getting burned out.