There´s ONE lever that has the greatest potential to help us fulfill our business mission – more than any other lever"?¦..
What do you think it is?
Answer: How we manage and lead.
Whoa – that´s heavy to think about. Some days it feels like the rock of Gibraltar on our shoulders.
- We have a huge responsibility.
- We have a huge opportunity.
- There is a privilege that comes with being a manager.
Why I´m Concerned
- Based on feedback from many people over the years, our management and leadership capabilities represent a weakness.
- We have promoted many great folks with little to no management experience.
- We have not offered much in the way of management and leadership development.
- We have not consistently communicated our expectations of management and/or measured and rewarded them for taking the time to manage and lead.
What we can do about this
- Establish, communicate and be measured based on powerful standards for managers (or "What management and leadership should look like"??). We know we need to be role models of these standards – we are accountable.
- Help all managers develop the skills needed to manage based on these standards. (Also, we will consider these standards before promoting people to management positions)
- Focus our management development efforts toward helping managers develop any skills they need to manage based on these standards.
Here´s what I believe
- Managers who manage based on these standards will help make history and will be rewarded.
- Managers who do not manage based on these standards will not get optimal results.
- We all have the opportunity to be great.
Standards For Managers
What are your standards for managers? I will share my list tomorrow….