Terri Lonier, who runs the Working Solo resources website, recently changed her newsletter to an outstanding new format. It’s called Working Solo Minute, and it takes just about a minute to absorb the content each week. For busy people, it’s a great way to get information. Her issue titled Inbox Envy got me to thinking about my own messy email inbox. Because Terri has created a few folders to sort her email, she can maintain an empty Inbox.
Envious? Here are her categories:
- Action – Just what it sounds like
- Someday Maybe – Emails about things on her wish list
- Travel – Trip details all in one place the night before you leave
- Waiting For – Just what it sounds like; you can’t take action until somebody sends you something
- Purchases 2008 – Start a new folder each year
- General Correspondence (by Quarter)
Now, of course you need to attend to some of these folders on a regular basis. Working through that Action folder is your to-do list. Check the “Waiting For” folder and do follow-ups as needed.
Sounds pretty simple and straight-forward. I’m going to try it.