Continuing yesterday’s thought train, regarding the nation’s Top 100 Retailers (based on revenues), here are a few highlights from the survey, reported in Stores magazine and sponsored by SAP. The survey is conducted under the umbrella of the National Retail Federation.
1. Store-based booksellers expect a sales increase of 6 percent to 7 percent from the soon-to-be released Harry Potter book.
2. Traditional grocers are reeling from the increased emphasis on groceries at big-box retailers.
3. The housing slump has created dog days for home improvement stores.
4. Dress sales, up last year, should continue strong.
5. Not one jewelry retailer qualified for this year’s Top 100.