Firefox is well-known for its huge array of cool plugins. We looked beyond the cool factor and picked 10 free plugins that also provide uniquely helpful functions for business users. Here’s a look at the top 10 Firefox plugins that boost business productivity.
The grand-prize winner of Mozilla’s Extend Firefox 2 contest, this plugin allows Firefox to serve as an instant messaging client across just about any account, including AIM, Gmail, Jabber, MSN, Twitter, and more. With SamePlace you can do the following.
- Quickly find contacts in any account while browsing or chatting
- Drag and drop icons, pictures, and text from Web pages into an IM conversation
- Interact beyond chatting by sharing Web applications and more
All of this is done in a nifty sidebar that can be hidden with a click of the “F12” button.
Innovative products sometimes roll out months in advance in other countries. Stay on top of the competition with FoxLingo, a plugin that can translate full Web pages into 53 languages in more than 2,000 different language pairs. In addition to Web page translation, FoxLingo provides:
- Translated search: Search foreign pages using terms written in English
- Auto translation: Automatically translate a Web site based on its domain
- Text translation: Translate text you’ve highlighted on a Web page or entered in the search box.
- Language resources: Access more than 90 language services (encyclopedias, text-to-speech, etc.)
- Grammar check: Proofread your grammar, spelling, punctuation, and style in any language.
Install the Share Video button from Vodpod and with one click you can easily grab and bookmark videos for yourself; share videos on your Web site, Facebook, or MySpace page; or post videos directly into your Blogger, Tumblr, Twitter, TypePad, or WordPress blog. Share Video works with any video site that offers videos with embed codes.
Managing your many social networks is a snap with Yoono, an easy-to-use sidebar that puts all your social network and IM services into one place. With Yoono you can instantly update your status across all your social networks simultaneously. You can also share anything you’re looking at on the Web with a simple click of a button — no more copying and pasting links into each social network account. (Yoono is also available for Internet Explorer.)
Turn your blog or Web site into an interactive experience with the Apture Editor Plugin. It lets you link and embed multimedia content from more than 50 sources with a single click. Use Apture while editing your blog to insert text, images, video, maps, music, and more. Choose content from around the Web or upload your own files, images, presentations, or PDF docs directly from your computer.
Easily transfer and access files no matter where you are with FireFTP, a secure FTP client that works on Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. FireFTP features intuitive directory comparison and search/filtering functions, file hashing, drag and drop, remote editing, SSL encryption, file compression, and more.
Keep tabs on your Web site’s performance by putting all your SEO tools in one place. Foxy SEO Tool lets you easily access sites that provide traffic analysis, page analysis, directory listings, and other site statistics.
This free Internet security add-on promises to keep you safe from online scams, identity theft, spyware, spam, and viruses by warning you before you interact with a risky Web site. WOT allows you to customize your level of protection so that you and your employees can safely surf while protecting your company from malicious attacks. (WOT is also available for Explorer 6 and 7. A WOT bookmarklet, which provides some of WOT’s functions, can be downloaded for Safari.)
Be more nimble on the Web with SmarterFox, a smart add-on that saves time and increases productivity. With SmarterFox you can:
- Browse faster: (1) Automatically load the next page when you reach the end of the current page and (2) simultaneously download all links, images, or media on a page
- Search faster: Easily switch between search engines while searching, search Google results as you type from the URL bar, and search by highlighting text and then clicking the popup bubble.
Have more than one e-mail account? Stop wasting time checking in to your various inboxes. WebMail Notifier will automatically check all of your webmail accounts for you and notify you of the number of unread e-mails for each account. This plugin currently supports Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo! mail, to name a few.