No matter how green you are at home, it can be difficult to know what to do while you are on the road. The good news is that are increasing amounts of products that you can take with you on the road that are green. And some of them will even save you money!
- Hair care and other hygiene products that are actually solid.
- Reusable feminine hygiene products. (Yes, they do exist!)
- Green, all purpose cleaners. These can be used for a variety of purposes, so you are packing light as well.
- Reusable water bottle. This even works at airports. Just make sure the bottle is empty when you go through the security screening. Then fill it up with water from a drinking fountain in the terminal. Earth friendly and it costs much less than buying bottled water.
Other tips for more eco-friendly traveling include:
- Using a digital camera to capture your travel memories.
- Pack foods that require less cooking.
- Try to pack light.
- When camping, bring dishes that you can wash (with green soap), rather than disposable dishes. Bring a couple of dish towels as well. My parents always used to hang these to dry between uses when we went camping. It costs less than bringing a ton of paper products, and its more environmentally friendly.
Do you have tips for traveling green?
Miranda Marquit writes for the Personal Finance Corner.