Small Business Q&A
I’d be interested to hear what you think of writing informative articles for print publications with a view to building awareness of your business. I write a regular column of around 700 words for a local business newspaper. I am finding it more and more of a chore. I am tempted to drop the relationship with the ‘paper. It’s not something I get paid for, but it does come with some free advertising.
Don’t stop writing your articles for the paper. Think “reuse.” You’re writing the articles every week anyway, how can they be reused elsewhere to spread the word about you far and wide? Here are a few ideas.
- Post them to your website
- Post them to article banks
- Compile a few and turn them into a tips booklet
- Compile a few and turn them into an ebook for sale or for free as a lead generator
- Syndicate your column
- Create tip sheets and distribute to prospects and clients
- Modify the format and turn them into press releases
But…before you do any of this, make sure you verify that you have kept the rights to your column — if you haven’t, now is the time to change that.