New—that’s the key we’ve been talking about lately, and here’s another look at what’s new, and why it’s important. But flip flops? I thought you said new? Well, what’s new today sometimes has vestiges in the past, but with Flip Flop Shops, that’s where it ends.
Flip Flop Shops is the authentic retailer of the hottest brands and latest styles of flip flops and sandals. It’s more than just a shop, they like to say . . . it’s a lifestyle. And here’s what’s new–really new:
- Flip flops and sandals as a category outsold athletic shoes—for the last 2 years!
- It’s a $20 billion dollar industry! (not quite as big as
’s budget deficit, but still a pretty big number!) California
- It’s global and green! Flip Flop Shops sprung out of the
surf culture of the ’60s. (anyone see Endless Summer? ok, I’m old.) They’ve embraced a culture spawned by beach cleanups and white sands with store designs that emphasize preservation of the environment: cork floors, water-based paints, and energy-efficient lighting. California
Sounds good, but the concept’s only part of it, right? You said it’s the culture, vision, experience, and commitment to the franchisees exhibited by the franchisor’s leadership is a big part of the equation, right? Right. Here’s how that topic plays:
- Brian Curin (Size 10), Todd Giatrelis (Size 11), and Sarah Towne (Size 9), the founders and leaders of Flip Flop Shops, have been there, done that—and that’s important.
- Brian participated in growing Cold Stone Creamery from 75 units to 1000, and believe me (speaking from my experience with similar rapid growth during my Blockbuster days in the ’80s and ’90s) you want leadership with that kind of experience, and who’ve made their mistakes on someone else’s nickel.
- Brian talks about transparency, and when you hear it in his voice, you know it’s a commitment to every franchisee in the system, not just Wall Street jive for, “Sure, we know where your money is. Our organization is completely transparent.”
Hear Brian in person during his recent interview on The Franchise Show. There is no better resource for doing your due diligence BEFORE you buy than to hear it directly from a franchisor’s founders and CEOs.
In making the right franchise buying decision and then putting it in the right location, let’s get it right—right from the beginning. Email me with your questions and comments, and we’ll do it together. It’s harder than it looks, but there are great opportunities out there as the economy turns, and Flip Flop Shops may be just your size!
Hear Jeff on The Franchise Show live every Friday at , and 24/7 in the archives. Jeff comes from 25 years in the franchise industry with such high-growth companies as McDonald’s, Blockbuster, Wendy’s, and Arby’s.