“There are many, many ways to estimate a software project, ranging from formal models that can only be worked by a University professor through to a salesperson’s hopeful guess.
Here We Present a simple, proven software project estimation method that produces reasonably accurate results and has been used estimate substantial fixed price work…
This method also calls for participation by a substantial number of people, increasing buy-in and gaining accuracy….
This estimation method has three steps:
1. Design the System.
2. Estimate each Part of the System.
3. Schedule the Work.
The outputs are:
1. A project schedule with allowances for schedule risk, internal dependencies and known outages.
2. A list of other assumptions made during the estimation.
3. A list of the project’s external dependencies.
4. A list of other risks to the project schedule.”