This week kicks of National Small Business week and for all of you small businesses out there – each day I will post specific and actionable content around PR and marketing that you can do today to improve your media outreach initiatives!
Today’s tips for small businesses cover how you can get news coverage about your company with little or no PR budget!
Small Business Focused Tips for News Coverage:
1. Write to your regional business editor and send them short pitches around your company and what it’s doing for the local community.
2. Offer a free sack lunch informational seminar – and email the Calendar editor at your newspaper to list it in the calendar.
3. Have a good media page for the press on your web site which includes all your coverage, good high res pics of the principals of the company, and a short bio of the company.
4. Study what your local business journals are covering and make your pitch fit within their topic of coverage.
5. Sponsor a local non-profit or community agency that could use your help.
6. Position your CEO or Principal as an expert to call on in the case of local news, regional news, radio interviews and local affiliate TV interviews.
7. Write letters to the editor in response to business news.
8. Submit op-eds in regard to business.
9. Join your chamber of commerce and peer groups.
10. Make sure to keep the news on your web site up to date and regularly submit possible news items around holidays, and special events.