Sometimes you’re in the right place at the right time doing the right things to grow your business. That was the ticket for GoToBilling, an on-demand payment and billing application that handles both ACH (eCheck) and credit card processing for every type of billing situation along with an email invoicing application.
GoToBilling has been in business for three years and has discovered many small online businesses can use their services:
- Billing and payment processing capability by online invoicing
- Recurring billing options
- Swiping of credit card and check payments from websites and shopping carts
And they’ve done a good job identifying their target market as a small business with up to nine employees. With GoToBilling, small businesses can get “large company” enterprise level solutions at a small business price.
They took an interesting approach to market their business. And it worked. To grow the company they marketed their services through over 100 independent resellers. That’s a smart thing for any small business to do. When you have an “army” working for you, it can help you be successful. Plus they recently added a 30-day free trial that allows prospects to give the system a try before they decide to purchase.
With so many small businesses struggling to get through the recession, you’d think it would have a big impact on their business. But it didn’t. GoToBilling took some proactive steps to make sure their impact from the recession was minor.
- Diversified their client base. Many of their customers are businesses that require recurring transactions rather than a typical retail business so that minimized a wallop from any particular industry segment.
- They didn’t stop marketing. They went the opposite direction and increased their marketing budget so they could continue to be visible both online and through their independent resellers. That was a great tactical move and one lots of other small businesses were afraid to make.
They say the biggest key to success is to make sure you continue marketing and advertising. Don’t make the mistake of shutting off the engine that is running your business. Keep marketing and use it as your opportunity to snag the customers that are out there for your business — instead of the competition.
The Small Business Success Series is focused on small businesses who are winning the war against the recession. Submit your success story. Details here.