Okay so you are going for longer then 48 hours or further than the next state. You are going to be putting your luggage through check-in and hauling it off the carousel at the other end.
This still means you can pack tight and light. Here´s how:
– Roll clothes. Research studies (by yours truly) has found that rolling really does mean more can fit and it decreases wrinkles
– Pack small items within bigger items
– Use the two thirds rule. Pack your bag then take two thirds out. Its painful but you will be amazed at what you really don´t need
– Leave some space for a few items you will pick up at your destination
– Pack heavier items on the bottom and things you will need like pjs and toothbrush up the top
– Fill nooks and crannies with odds and ends like socks