Some vendors and manufacturers crave
differentiation so desperately that they devise strange, incomprehensible
product features. They get into all kinds of trouble describing crazy features
and “XM-3000 performance statistics” that are lost on the potential customer’s
If your product really does something
different, if it’s oozing with “secret sauce,” then certainly highlight that.
However, do it by connecting with buyer benefits and keeping it simple.
Here’s a good benefit list about a Palm
handheld device that was listed on eBay:
* Read and reply to your business and
* Send an SMS message and collaborate quickly
* Type an e-mail to your team on the thumb
* Use the phone feature to make a call and
take notes at the same time.
* Edit spreadsheets, documents, and
presentations on the Tungsten W handheld’s crisp, high-resolution color screen.
* Keep track of calendars and contact
Notice the seller didn’t lead with confusing
features like “Motorola MC68VZ328 33 MHz Display, TFT active matrix –
reflective – 16-bit (64K colors).” Those may be important when it comes time to
compare the device to others, but the dream needs to be sold first.