Too often we get so busy and focused managing our businesses that we forget life is supposed to be fun. I’m as guilty of this as anyone. Running a business is serious work so we seem justified by keeping our noses to the grindstones. Unfortunately, when we do that we often forget to enjoy our businesses and our work.
And that’s too bad because after spending 42 years on this planet I am convinced that we are supposed to have fun on a daily basis. They say laughter is the best medicine & I agree. I think we all know that enjoying what we do is healthy for our minds and bodies and our spirits. But, it’s also good for our businesses.
Remember, people like doing business with people they like. And, there’s no one more likable than someone who is clearly enjoying themselves. Nothing brightens my day more than someone with an easy smile and a ready laugh.
Think of the people you spend time with (regardless whether for business or personal reasons). No doubt there are one or more people who always bring a smile to your face just by being around them. Do you think they affect others the same way? Do you think they have customers who enjoy them as much as you do? I’d bet they do.
So, what do you do when you’re NOT enjoying yourself? If you’re feeling stressed and harried and your blood pressure is rising, what can you do? Here are some things that always work for me. Maybe they’ll work for you too:
1. Laugh out loud. You might want to be in private when you do this but try it, it really works.
2. Smile. No matter what the situation, just smile. It simply feels good.
3. Call or visit a friend, your spouse or anyone who is guaranteed to bring some sunshine to your day. (My wife is great at this.)
4. Find a dog to pet. Dogs are naturally happy, their joy is contagious and they like everyone.
5. Take a walk. Exercise, fresh air and a change of scenery are great ways to pull you out of any slump.
6. Help someone. Few things in this world feel better than taking time to do something for another person. Plus you generate good karma!
7. Pay someone a compliment. Of course it should be sincere but it’s usually not hard to do if you think about it.
8. If you’re stuck in an office, look up some good jokes on the Internet. I’m partial to Steven Wright, so here is a link to some of his humorous thoughts.
9. Meditate. Close your eyes, breathe deeply and clear your mind. Here’s a website with some tips.
10. Write down 10 good things about your life. Once you get started, this is easy.
So, there you have my Top 10 ways to keep your spirits up. No matter what you do, be good to yourself and your business and have some fun every day.