Introduction: Multiple file servers can cause problems. They can take up a lot of space in your server room and be difficult to manage. One way to alleviate these problems is with a custom-built storage appliance. These rack-mounted storage solutions take up much less space than traditional file servers and are designed to scale for any size organization.
Traditional computers generally do not have hot-swappable drives or gigabit Ethernet support. Storage appliances generally have these features built in because they’re designed specifically to provide high-speed, high-reliability storage in a data center environment.
What Is the Solution?
This solution provides a range of storage appliances with two different types of storage: NAS (network area storage) and SAN (storage area network). NAS support means that any UNIX or Windows computer can access files on these systems without any special software, while the SAN feature means that they also offer a high-performance, fault-tolerant option that does require special software on each PC.
What Are the Benefits of This Solution?
This NAS/SAN product offers enterprise-level storage solutions in an inexpensive package for small- to medium-size businesses.
Business benefits include the following:
- 1 to 16 terabytes of reliable storage
- Integrated caching hardware for enhanced performance and data recovery
- Enterprise-grade fault tolerance, including hot-swappable disks and redundant network interfaces
- Easy management via a simple Web interface
CHECKLIST: When Is a NAS/SAN Appliance Right for Your Company?
Here are some questions to consider:
- Do you currently store files on your network on a variety of different servers?
- Do you need the ability to manage all your network storage from a single central interface?
- Do you need better performance for your Oracle or Microsoft Exchange servers?
- Are size and power consumption important factors in your buying decision?
- Is it important to you to be able to upgrade storage capacity without taking applications offline?
If you answer yes to at least three of these questions, you should seriously consider this product for your business.