Introduction: Small businesses are notorious for quickly outgrowing their phone systems. One day it’s just you and a dream, the next you’ve got a dozen employees and the phones are ringing off the hook. Suddenly you need a phone system that automatically answers calls, transfers calls to employees, supports conference calling, has great voice mail features, and much more. But here’s the catch: You need it all on a tight budget. And there’s no way you can afford a dedicated staffer to manage the phone system.
Voice over Internet Protocol is an Internet-telephone service that integrates popular digital features such as e-mail, chat, and data integration into your phone system. VoIP has been popular with big businesses for a number of years because it is significantly cheaper than traditional phone services.
But smaller firms, which typically lack sophisticated networking equipment, have steered clear of the technology because of reliability problems, such as dropped calls and garbled connections. The good news is that the quality of VoIP is improving, making it an attractive option for small businesses.
What Is This Solution?
This VoIP phone system is affordable, cheaper to install than traditional phone systems, and can significantly reduce your monthly phone bill. In fact, it can deliver e-mail, voice mail, and many other features for up to 80 percent less than the cost of traditional systems.
What Are the Benefits of This Solution?
This solution is designed for companies that have a mix of office, roaming, and home-based workers. By automatically switching back and forth between VoIP and traditional phone lines, this solution offers the best of both worlds: cost savings and call quality. When your VoIP line becomes unreliable, the system falls back to your regular analog telephone line automatically so you can always make a call. Here are just some of the many features you get:
- Unlimited extensions: The system grows with your business, letting you easily create new extensions whenever you need them.
- Scheduler: Want an entirely different call menu on weekends and holidays? This feature allows you to play different messages to callers at different times of the day.
- Voice mail to e-mail: Receive your voice mail as e-mail. The system sends employees e-mail notifying them of new voice mail messages.
- FindMe: This feature allows callers to find you wherever you are: on your cell phone, at home, or at a branch office.
- Name directory: The system comes preconfigured with a professional “spell-by-last-name” directory.
CHECKLIST: When Is This Solution Right for Your Company?
So how do you know if VoIP is right for you? Here are some questions to consider:
- Have you outgrown your old phone system but don’t want to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a “professional” phone service?
- Do you require the same kind of phone system capabilities as large corporations, such as call forwarding, hold music, automatic answering, conference calling, and unlimited extensions?
- Are you spending thousands of dollars on long-distance charges each month and need to reduce the cost?
- Do your employees work in different places: some in the main office, some at home, some in the field, some at a branch office?
- Would your business benefit from a call center but you’ve been deterred by the price?
If you answer yes to several of these questions, VoIP could be what you’re looking for.