This being Passport Month, here are some passport planning & safety tips from Lonely Planet
- Make photocopies of passports, other photo IDs and your itinerary before traveling. Keep a copy with you, in a separate location from your passport. It is also a good idea to leave a copy with family and friends at home
- Carry extra passport photos for visas and identification cards you might need on the road.
- Pack important documents in a weatherproof pouch for protection from the elements
- Know where your passport is at all times, whether you keep in on you, put it in a hotel safe or other secure location
passports are good for 10 years, but check the expiration date on your passport before hitting the road. Some countries require expiration dates no closer than six months from the date of your trip U.S.
- Utilize online resources like LonelyPlanet.com for travel planning and tips
- Travelers can store important information like credit card, PIN and passport numbers in online vaults accessible via the Internet or phone.