If you’re new to the ranks of the road warriors, you may find packing a struggle. Between questions of what to bring and how to bring it, and among absolute and often mystifying airline regulations, packing like a professional — and for your professional duties — can be difficult.
However, the lighter you pack, the faster you can move through the airport to your final destination.
Here are five steps that you can take for lighter luggage and faster travel.
- On Board and in the Boardroom: Wear your power suit on the plane. Look for products that minimize or prevent wrinkles and products, like Febreeze that may eliminate odors.
- Multitask Your Wardrobe: It may go without saying, but it’s something that people forget. One suit may do the trick if you bring different — and different colored — shirts and ties (for the men) or blouses and scarves and other accessories (for women).
- Smaller Is Better: Go to your local pharmacy to purchase travel-sized items for your trip. Not only will help cut down on your packing space, but if your toiletries are under the requisite 2 ounces, you won’t have to check your bag.
- Be Ready: If you know that certain items are going to set off the metal detector, group those items into one carry-on and send them through the x-ray machine.
- Choose the Right Luggage: Because you will need to pull out items, like computers, at security and quickly stow them back, purchase a bag with outside pockets large enough to hold these items: laptops, cell phones, boarding passes, and personal identification. .
Packing smart is the best and easiest way to save time and avoid hassles. Moreover, your professionalism and preparedness will carry into that meeting with confidence.