I have some New Year’s resolutions with regard to my personal finance situation. And, while I believe that goals should be made and attained throughout the year, I do like the idea of taking stock and making resolutions to improve oneself in order to kick off a new year. My four main personal finance goals for 2009 are:
- Save up four months’ worth of expenses (we have two months’ worth right now).
- Rebuild our emergency fund from $300 back up to $1,000.
- Save up to put in a yard for our house.
- Refinance the house to a lower rate, and a shorter mortgage term.
I also have a couple of secondary goals I would like to put into motion, if I have the money (and time):
- Open a Health Savings Account (HSA) for things like dental and eye care expenses.
- Become a certified financial planner.
Do you have any personal finance goals for 2009?