I recently spoke to an anxious young woman at Hong Kong airport whose bags had been re-directed to Germany. It happens all the time. In 2005 ten thousand bags were lost by the airlines. No, not all year, ten thousand each day!
TIPS TO LESSEN LOST LUGGAGE AND ITS IMPACT
– pack some of your clothing in a companion´s bag and vice versa
– take a few essentials with you on board the plane
– make sure you have name tags on all your luggage including a cell phone number (see my recent Doy Tags posting )
– when checking in the luggage, double check its code
– if youR bags do get lost, go straight to the baggage counter and give a complete description and leave a copy of your itinerary so they can get the back to you
Most bags make it back to their owner and you can imagine the stories they could tell.