Happy 2008! A new year has just kicked off
and it is time to get excited! Before you go back to business as usual,
take a moment to make some business resolutions. I know people often
make personal resolutions for the new year, but not many do the same
for their business/career. Creating business resolutions may improve
work/life balance. These resolutions can be business goals, but they
can also be small changes in your daily operations that can slowly grow
into a business evolution or even a success revolution. Once you’re
done, then broadcast your resolutions. Post the resolutions on the
office bulletin board, email to all your people, be the on the screen
saver of your computer or post
on your business website or blog. This will encourage you to keep the
resolutions.Here are a few suggestions:
1. Clearly communicate and daily prioritize tasks and responsibilities to colleagues. Make a shared to-do list.
2. Discontinue weekly office meetings. If you do #1 well, then 2 is just an email.
3. Don’t work on the weekends. (Work smart,not hard)
4. Delegate more to the passionate. You will be surprised at the energy and achievement of an intern.
5. Develop new business contacts by NOT networking. Skip the expensive conference this year. See-saw [I hate
the word "leverage”] off of friends, family and even your dry cleaner
by letting them know about your business.
Some of my suggestions make not fit for all businesses but I hope
you will be inspired to create ones that fit your business and
lifestyle. Make it fun!