Its heart-wrenching when you leave your children behind and go away on a business trip. Sometimes it cannot be helped.
With my two, I always make sure we do something special before I leave as well as a promise to do something special again when I get back. And I always follow through ( they won´t believe you after two broken promises).
However, we are fickle beings and the best conditioning is of course, presents. I always bring back a gift: they love me going and they cant wait for me to get back! The kids are unpacking my suitcase before I do.
I took a survey of my other business associates with children and offer this list to help the pain of separation.
TIPS TO MAKE IT EASIER
1. Make a game of your travels with the children, for instance, they can make a list of how many times they saw trucks go past their kindergarten, school, home, etc while you are away and you will make a list of how many times you saw trucks.
2. Make sure there are pictures of you clearly displayed around the house.
3. Arrange for lots of activities that the kids can keep busy with.
4. Talk on the phone every day, even if the child is too young to talk, they often listen even if it is only for a few seconds before wandering away
5. Be truthful about emotions. Acknowledge that s/he may miss you while you are away and you will miss him/her. It helps children to be prepared for, and talk about, how they may feel
6. Make a tape of bedtime stories so the children can hear your voice before they go to sleep
7. Use a story character like a mouse, whose daddy/mommy is going away. The mouse can miss the parent, keep busy with other things, parent can be thinking about child a lot, they talk by phone each day, then there is great fun and joy when parent returns. This may give the child a simple and happy scenario to keep in mind when the real thing occurs.