A Data Universal Numbering System, or DUNS, number is a unique nine-digit identifier that has become the industry standard for business listings worldwide. The number, which is provided and maintained by Dun & Bradstreet, is required for any business submitting federal grant and cooperative agreement applications, as well as businesses applying for the Small Business Administration’s America’s Recovery Capital loans.
Obtaining a DUNS number is easy and best of all, it’s free. The first step is to find out whether your facility already has a DUNS number. The numbers are site-specific. In other words, a number is required for each distinct physical location of an entity (branches, divisions, headquarters, etc.). Call D&B toll-free at (866) 705-5711 to find out if you already have a DUNS number.
Apply By Telephone Or Internet
Applying for a DUNS number can be done over the phone or online. Before starting the process, make sure you have the following information on hand:
- Your business’s legal name and legal structure (corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship, etc.)
- The name of the company’s owner or CEO
- The primary type of business your company engages in
- The year the business began operations
- The name of your headquarters and its physical address
- Any other name your business might be recognized by (i.e., doing business as or DBA)
- Your business’s physical mailing address (if separate from headquarters), including city, state, and zip code, and its primary phone number
- The name of a primary contact person and his or her title
- The number of employees at this physical location (full time and part time)
Follow this process to get a DUNS number online:
- Visit the “D&B DUNS Numbers” page.
- Enter your country, business details, and the verification code (be sure to use uppercase and lowercase letters).
- If you see your business and location listed, click “request your existing DUNS number” and fill in your contact information. Complete the responses on the following screens, reenter the verification code, and click “submit.” You’ll receive your existing DUNS number via e-mail from email@example.com with the subject line “Requested DUNS number.”
- If your business and location aren’t listed, click “request a new DUNS number” and follow the steps.
- You should receive your new DUNS number within one business day.
How To Get Your Number Faster
If you apply for a DUNS number over the telephone you’ll receive the number immediately instead of having to wait a day. Simply call D&B toll-free at (866) 705-5711 and provide the representative with the information listed above. The process takes between 5 and 10 minutes. Representatives are available between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. (your local time if you’re calling from within the United States), Monday through Friday.