Chargebacks can cut into your bottom line and create a dispute between you and your customers. To avoid chargebacks:
- Have proof the card was present by swiping the card or by imprinting it on the transaction receipt.
- Make sure you get a signature from the cardholder and compare the signature to the back of the card.
- Check additional identification if necessary.
- It’s also important to obtain an authorization number for the full amount of the sale. Do not break the sale into several smaller amounts.
- Finally, don’t forget to check the expiration date on the card.