Four out of five shoppers responding to a just-released survey say they will buy items for the holidays only when they are on sale. The Maritz Holiday Shopping Poll also revealed:
- Nearly three out of four shoppers said they will research before shopping, hoping to find the best deal.
- Seven out of 10 shoppers said they purchased gifts prior to the start of the shopping season.
- 65 percent said they are cutting back on the number of gifts per person.
- 60 percent said they will cut back on the number of people to whom they give gifts this year.
- Two-thirds of those who plan to cut back said they will leave someone in their extended family off their gift list this year.
- 55 percent said they will take friends off their gift list.
- 55 percent said they plan to purchase gift cards this year, compared with 56 percent last year and 54 percent in 2006. The number of gift cards purchased will remain the same as last year, but the amount spent on each card will drop to $161 from $273 in 2007.