There are many benefits to investing in a franchise system. One key benefit is the franchisor’s training program. Ideally, it should allow you to acquire skills rapidly through an initial training program, and then reinforce these skills with ongoing training.
In order to fully implement a successful franchise formula, a certain amount of training is necessary. The amount of training that is offered by a franchisor can range from minimal to extensive. Some factors that can influence this are:
q complexity of the business model
q franchisors resources
q company culture & communications style
q upfront franchise fee
The amount of training support can often be linked directly to the franchise fee requested upfront. In many franchise systems, the fee collected supports the training resources needed to get each new partner up and running. If the franchise fee is lower than others, oftentimes there will be an additional fee to be trained.
Here are some questions around training you can ask a franchisor when considering investing in their concept:
1) Do I have to have a particular background to succeed in this business?
2) What kind of initial training is offered?
3) What about on-going training after you are up and running?
4) Where is the training offered?
5) Is there an additional fee for training?
6) Is there a support center to call 24/7?
7) Do they provide support for a grand opening?
8) Do they provide site selection support?
9) How does the company communicate new products and services to their franchisees?
10) Is there a regional representative supporting my territory?