Between work and taking care of the home, it is sometimes difficult to find a nice chunk of time that you can spend with your children.
I was reading through a bulletin board post this evening and a mother had posted that she doesn´t get to spend enough quality time with her son. She felt that this lack of time with him was driving a wedge in their relationship.
I thought the post and the responses were so relative to what happens with working mothers and their children that I wanted to share some ideas with you. These were posted by readers who had run into the same problem in their family and found a way to fix it. If you have additional ideas, feel free to comment on the blog entry.
1. Play hooky. Take a personal day and spend the entire day with your child. Take him to breakfast, hang out at the zoo, and stop for ice cream on the way home. Or stay home and spend the day playing with his toys, reading books, and bonding.
2. Find a nearby restaurant at which you and your child can stop in for breakfast once a week. Not only will you enjoy the quality time you get to spend with your child, he will enjoy it as well. If you don´t have time for a sit down breakfast, stop for bagels instead.
3. Take your child to the movies. Let him choose what you will see. Then spend some time afterwards talking about the movie and letting him tell you what he liked or disliked.
4. Make a date with your child. Tell him about it in advance. Make a big deal about what you are going to be doing, and how much fun it will be. Get dressed up and take pictures before leaving the house.
5. Let your child determine what you will do for a day out with mom. Give some options to the younger child, or let an older child plan it all. No complaining, even if you end up in the arcade for the morning and eating hot dogs at the park for lunch!
6. Take a trip out of town. Visit a nearby zoo or theme park. Rent a motel room. Go out for dinner. Swim in the pool.
7. Schedule quality time into your life. Just like any other appointment or commitment, you need to make sure that you are reserving time to spend with your children. So make this a priority by filling in the quality time on your calendar, so that you don´t forget to make it happen.