Yes, there are three (counting today) selling days left in this holiday season, and I don’t want to distract you. So file this in the back of your mind for 2009 planning.
Silverpop, a company specializing in e-mail marketing, revealed the following best practices in a study about transactional e-mails (those confirming a purchase, notifying of shipping dates, giving delivery and warranty information, etc.):
- Send transactional messages within seconds of the purchase.
- Include the name of your company in the subject line.
- Send your messages in HTML format to enhance your branding and showcase other items your customer might wish to buy.
- Personalize your message.
- Use photos. They help sell products.
- Include a link to your Web site. (Duh!)
- Use transactional e-mails to cross-sell and up-sell products and services.
To execute this study, Silverpop purchased items from the top Internet retailers as identified by Internet Retailer.