Not vacation mode, pre-vacation mode. Imagine you are going on a 4-week vacation next week (would be nice, right?).
When we prepare for vacation, we tend to do several things better than when in normal mode:
- We delegate much more effectively.
- We blast through all the little dangling bits of unfinished work.
- We trash 50 magazines sitting on our desk waiting to be read.
- We let go of tasks that ought not be on our lists – they don’t rate.
- Our pace is more efficient – past but focused.
- We don’t book stupid meetings – just the meetings that are really needed.
- We have sit down check ins with people to make sure they are clear about what needs to get done.
Overall, pre-vacation mode can be a very productive place. So what
if you faked it? Better yet, decide to take an impromptu NO CELL/BBERRY
week long vacation and see how productive your week becomes.
Here’s another thought. The accounting department needs to close the
books – monthly and often quarterly. Things need to be either caught up
or accrued for. What if we did a monthly and quarterly management
close? What would that look like and how might this practice drive for
closure and focus?
There’s some morning bran for you to chew on…. Let me know what you think.