Have you stayed away from export business because the paperwork was too daunting? It’s time to look again. Entrepreneur’s July 2006 print magazine carries a sidebar article by Laurel Delaney who describes AESDirect, a free online process for filing Shipper’s Export Declarations. AES stands for Automated Export System, and the site carries the logo of the Department of Commerce. Here are some highlights:
1. Ensures export compliance – It returns a confirmation number to verify that you successfully filed your export documentation.
2. Corrects errors – Get immediate feedback when data is omitted or incorrect, and correct errors at any time.
3. Eliminates paper review – Eliminates time delays of handling paper.
4. Stays up-to-date with trade agreements – AES conforms to NAFTA and GATT, making it easier to do business in multiple countries.
5. Evalutes and measures potential markets – Provides accurate and timely export statistics.
While Entrepreneur.com does not offer a link to this little article, you can find a copy of the print magazine at the library, or just visit the AES site. The article lists a telephone hotline at 800-549-0595.
There is also a free client software version of AES Direct for installation on a PC.
Coincidentally or not, the AES site uses the same orange background as Delaney’s site. Its URL has a .gov extension.