About 80 banks have failed this year, the most since the savings and loan crisis in 1992, and there are still four months left in 2009. Most failures have involved small-town banks that were acquired by peers, but
1. Zions Bancorporation – The Utah-based bank holding company and its California Bank & Trust and Nevada State Bank subsidiaries have acquired three failed banks so far this year. Nevada State Bank is also assisting the FDIC in winding down another.
2. U.S. Bancorp – Now one of the ten largest banks in the nation, it has acquired two banks in
3. United Community Banks – The
5. BB&T – Another banking bigwig in the Southeast, it assumed the branches and deposits of Colonial BancGroup, which has been the largest bank to fail this year.
6. First Citizens Bancshares – The North Carolina-based company acquired a failed bank in