As promised in my previous blog, I am going to show you how to write custom notes in LinkedIn. When writing a custom note, it’s important to keep your relationship with the recipient in mind, including its nature, depth, and longevity.
Here some sample messages to show you how easy it can be. In some cases, I have left out the salutation to show you how you might write a note when using one of LinkedIn’s salutation options.
Inviting people to join your network:
- It has been a long time since I last saw you! I hope all is well. I would love to have coffee sometime soon. I’d also like to have you in my LinkedIn network, if you are interested. Thank you.
- Thank you for taking time to speak with me yesterday. I’m glad to hear you still enjoying your new job! As promised, here is my invitation for LinkedIn. Thanks again and I look forward to our next phone call.
- I hope all is well. I have been updating my LinkedIn connections. Can I add you to my network? PS – it’s time to get together and catch up!
Customized letter asking for assistance:
Whenever you ask a contact to link you to someone in their network, your original message will be seen by everyone along the connection string—your contact, their contact and, if three rings out from you, the final contact. That is all the more reason to personalize a letter.
It was good to see you at the association breakfast on Monday. Congratulations again on your promotion!
I am writing to find out if you would be willing to assist me in making contact with someone in your network. As you may recall, I am currently seeking a position in the financial arena. I went to ABC’s website and found an opening I am interested in and applied for it online. I looked up ABC in LinkedIn and found out that you are connected to James Birding who works for this firm.
If you are willing, I would appreciate being connected to James for a brief informational phone call. I know that he may or may not be connected to this particular position. My purpose for the phone call is to learn more about the company, in general. I would be glad to return the favor to you in some way.
Using LinkedIn default text personalization:
Here is one of LinkedIn’s default notes: “I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.” If you still want to use their text, please consider weaving it in with at least some of your own words. Here are some ideas:
- Hi, great speaking with you today–thanks for your time. I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.
- I heard you speak at John’s nautical meeting and appreciated your presentation. I would like to add you to my network.
- I enjoyed your class and found the workshop to be extremely helpful. I have my first meeting with John Doe on Tuesday. Your class has helped me to prepare for this meeting with him. Thank you so much. I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.
I hope this shows you how easy it can be to create personalized correspondence in LinkedIn. May all your notes be custom!