Lately I haven’t met anyone who isn’t interested in being more effective with email and voice mail messaging. It is too rare that you will connect directly with someone directly by phone that you must create compelling messages – whether by email or voice mail.
In a recent talk, these were my key points:
Powerful voice mail – THREE STEPS
- Goals – branding message and one “touch” toward building more trust and reputation
- Message – short and to the point
- Mention – something interesting, timely, or curious
Curious example: “I have a question for you that I think only you can answer”
Tips: speaking pace, enunciate, give your name and number at the beginning and end.
Powerful E-mail – THREE STEPS
- Goals – meaningful, valuable, brevity, succinctness, helpful
- Message – make it easy for people to understand what you want them to do
- Tone – emotion / complexity – may be better to talk by phone
Finally, don’t hide behind e-mail, text messages, or voice mail. Sometimes talk to people in person or by phone to re-build the emotional trust-based connection.
What sort of messages are you leaving that get results? Drop me a line and I’ll post your best ideas. How about some comments from the U.K., Australia, Canada, and Asia? What works in your part of the world?