I hope by now that you have made FaceBook part of your social media marketing strategy. It’s one of the fastest growing social mediums and you should be there. Once you have a personal profile page, you can create any number of fan pages for your business or products.
To do that, be prepared to take about an hour or so. I decided today to create a page for my book Small Business Cash Flow and it was no easy task. The FaceBook instructions aren’t clear (and I’ve found that to be the case often on FaceBook) — be ready to do some google searching to get your page just the way you want it.
Here’s what I discovered to help you get started.
1. First make sure you are logged into FaceBook with your personal account. Then, go to this page and click on create a page. Follow the directions on that page to set up your fan page. (You can also download the FaceBook page product guide (pdf) for additional info.)
2. Customize your page by following the suggestions in this post. You’ll find some good info there.
3. Customize your tabs by adding polls and other applications to allow interaction with your fans. Here is a good post on how to add a custom tab.
4. Once your page is set up, invite your friends and colleagues, and make sure you become a fan of it.
5. Set up an easy url to market the page. You could get a separate domain and redirect it or add a redirect from your existing domain using something like www.yourdomain.com/fanpage
Hopefully this will save you from running into some of the obstacles I did when creating my fan page. Do you have a fan page already? Leave me a comment with a link to it. And don’t forget to follow me on twitter @deniseoberry