By Keith Rosen, MCC
The Executive Sales Coach™
The most brilliant thinkers, innovators, and explorers emphasize questions more than answers. Note the root of the word question: A quest is the act of seeking or pursuing something. This desire to search and journey beyond what is already known and to seek out that which would enhance the quality of our lives or broaden our wisdom is what has enabled humanity to continually evolve over time.
Curiosity stimulates questions, and questions evoke change and exploration, further arousing our desire to create and discover.
All answers are responses to questions. However, since our society has become answer-oriented, we often wind up with ineffective solutions because we fail to construct the right questions to generate greater results or possibilities. We have become more focused on the solution rather than on the question.
Questions precede change. They are the foundation for creating both that which we want and that which we want to avoid. Some questions actually create more objections; therefore, it’s important to be aware of how you word and pose your questions.
Questions that are problem focused — “Why do bad things keep happening?” or “Why can’t I do this?” — support our failures or downfalls and confirm our negative beliefs about ourselves and others.
To create more effective outcomes, make your questions solution-oriented and forward-moving; avoid staying in the past.
Below is a list of powerful forward-moving questions that you can utilize to generate greater solutions for yourself in order to achieve more and enjoy your life today:
- How can I learn and grow from this situation or person? In other words, what is the lesson here?
- How can I respond to this in a more productive and healthier way?
- What’s needed to succeed here? (actions, strategy, tools, or resources, for example)
- What new possibility can be created here?
- Am I focusing on actions and goals that consume my life or enhance it? Do these goals cost me energy or diminish my quality of life, or are they aligned with my integrity, values, and passions?
- How can I change the way I see and feel about things in a way that will better serve me?
- What beliefs or assumptions do I need to abandon and replace with more empowering beliefs? Are they my beliefs or did I learn them from someone else? Are my feelings based upon the facts or are they assumptions?
- Am I resisting the lessons or receiving the lessons that are in front of me? What do I need to overcome or let go of in order to embrace the lesson and move forward?
- Am I living in the present? Am I focused more on anticipated future achievements, or am I stuck in the past with regrets, inaccurate beliefs, and negative events that prevent me from creating a great present?
- What strategy can I put in place to consistently generate the desired results that I seek?
- How can I best structure my life so that I am doing that which is most fulfilling, enjoyable, and satisfying?
About Keith Rosen, MCC — The Executive Sales Coach
Keith Rosen is the executive sales coach that top corporations, executives, and sales professionals call first. As an engaging speaker, Master Coach, and well-known author of many books and articles, Keith is one of the foremost authorities on coaching people to achieve positive change in their attitude, behavior, and results. For his work as a pioneer and leader in the coaching profession, Inc. magazine and Fast Company named Keith one of the five most respected and influential executive coaches in the country.
If you’re ready for better results quickly, contact Keith about personal or team coaching and training at 1-888-262-2450 or e-mail email@example.com. Visit Keith Rosen online at Profit Builders and be sure to sign up for his free newsletter The Winners Path.