Cold Calling-The Challenge
I sometimes get calls from clients who are a bit frustrated because of the lack of appointments they may be receiving per week. Because my cold calling program offers each client only 7-14 hours a week (financially this is an asset to money strapped small business owners because they can afford the service without spending a lot of money) for cold calling it means that the appointments that I set have to be quality. This is also the reason I stress to my clients that I focus on quality not quantity. After all-nearly everyone can set an appointment but not everyone can set a qualified-quality appointment. For those of you new to my column,books or workshops-let me define what a “qualified-quality appointment” is….
1.The prospect has a need for your product or service.
2. The prospect has a set budget.
3. They have an interest in meeting with you
4. They are looking to make a buying decision within 1-3 months*
* It takes most people 1-3 months from the date of the initial call to make a decision to buy from you.And usually about as long for the sales person to close the deal.
5. Once you’ve shown up for the appointment the prospect is expecting you (no one likes to go on an appointment only to be told that they are not expected or welcome and thus there is no appointment.)