These questions are formulated to stretch a person to reach their fullest potential. They challenge someone directly, yet supportively and positively, to achieve more and do better than they have before.
Remember, treat these questions like a buffet – take what you like and leave what you don’t. Depending upon your situation and the individual you’re coaching, all questions don’t work for everyone, which is why you have a list to choose from. Keep in mind, you can always use these questions for some self-coaching to challenge yourself and increase your level of awareness.
1. If you could no longer use that as an excuse, what would another solution look like? (What would you need to change or do differently to achieve better results?)
2. (When the person says, ‘‘I can’t.’’) Okay, but if you could, how would you do it?
3. (When the person says, ‘‘I don’t know.’’) Okay, but if you did know, what would it look like?
4. What would doubling your effectiveness look like?
5. What could you do that would be uncomfortable for you but would cause a breakthrough and move you forward?
6. What would be easy for you to do this week? What would be a stretch for you? (You can’t stretch or challenge people until you know what would be fairly easy for them to accomplish during the course of a normal week.)
7. What is one thing you could do this week that would clearly demonstrate your commitment to your goal? (Look for evidence.)
8. What would be something you would consider challenging that you could do which would double your productivity?
9. When did you decide that was true? What else is possible/true?