1. Go after your target audience. It is a common mistake to create generic ads that do not speak the language or grab the attention of your potential customers.
2. Highlight your competitive advantage. Too many ads are clever but fail to sell the benefits of the product or service.
3. Establish an image. Too many advertisers do not work to build a consistent image.
4. You have to spend money to make money. There are ways to save money, but typically advertising is not the place to cut corners.
5. Advertise in the right places. Your favorite magazine, radio station, or even television program might not be a favorite of your audience.