You’ll have lots to consider as you shop around for the perfect location for your business. The last thing you’ll want to do is to leave out some important consideration or miss a critical deadline. As you search for space, go down this checklist to make sure you’re not forgetting anything.
- Timeline. Allow ample time for employees to pack away vital records and office equipment. The last thing you want is for a bunch of people tossing everything into boxes as the movers are coming through the front door!
- Location. No matter where you are moving, a new location means a “fresh start,” and you can inspire your employees and improve morale by involving them in the design and moving process.
- Features. Find out what your employees need, and design the workspace right the first time.
- Layout design. If you are making drastic changes, make sure you allow your employees to have some input.
- Office furniture. Evaluate your needs based on work flow and the number of employees who will be using the furniture.
- Amenities. Plan for the amenities that are important to your employees, and don’t forget to plan for adequate rest room facilities.
- Cooling and heating systems. Careful planning in this department will keep you from having sticker shock when the utility bills for air conditioning and heat arrive in the mail.
- Compare leasing vs. buying. Leasing does have its advantages, including not having to deal with the maintenance and upkeep of the facility, but owning gives you more control. Evaluate the pro’s and cons of each