Business Promotion Tips for Small and Mid Sized Firms-Part Five
22. Contact local gift shops, and book stores about carrying your book, art etc. Obviously this tip is applicable if you have a book or art work to promote. However, if you do have a book to promote gift shops and book stores is definitely the way to go. I won´t lie and say that it will be easy to place your book in a book store but once you do you can ask the events planner of the store about guest appearances and book signings. It´s a great way to not only sell books but also promote other services.
23. If your book is academic or business oriented colleges are fantastic selling points for promoting books. For example, I´m circulating my book Telemarketing Success for Small and Mid-sized Firms to local business professors for free. If they like the book they often will make it required reading in their class which is a great way to sell books to a new market-students. If you decide to teach workshops think about also developing a curriculum for business schools, colleges and universities. Many of them have one or two people on staff in charge of developing new classes for the school. Offer to come in for a free one hour lecture to discuss your industry, book or business topic. Be careful. Teaching for a business school or college can turn into another career
24. And don’t forget catalogues. Getting catalogue placement is a great way to circulate your book with similar books. Consumers tend to buy multiple books thru catalogues because there are so many choices. Think about the book catalogues you receive once a month (book of the month club). Did you order just one book or did you make multiple selections?
25. Before your book is published don´t forget to offer contact information and a list of other services so that readers know that you can help them further with their needs. For example, I have contact information and also discuss my workshops, cold calling and scriptwriting services throughout the book. Cross promotion is still an excellent way to generate business thru a targeted audience.
26. Look into promotional pens, magnets etc to hand out at networking functions. Very inexpensive. People love getting anything useful for free.
27. Contact an advice columnist at Allbusiness.com about writing a story on your firm/services. I am always looking for stories about services that help small and mid-sized firms grow. It´s free promotion on an international level.
Next column-part six