Today is Blog Action Day, a day when thousands of bloggers all over the world are blogging about one issue…the environment.
I’m taking this opportunity to highlight an organization that is dedicated to changing our habits as consumers: Big Green Purse. I learned about this organization from Mary Hunt of In Women We Trust. Mary is intensely involved in sustainable business development.
Big Green Purse believes:
that the fastest,
easiest, most direct route to a clean and healthy environment is to
shift our spending to environmentally-safe, socially responsible
products and services.
Women spend $.85 of every dollar in the marketplace which
is a lot of spending power. The goal is for every woman to convert
$1,000 of their regular spending to green spending…buying
environmentally friendly products and services. A million women can
shift $1 billion dollars and make a huge impact on how big and small
businesses view and respond to their own environmental impact. Men, you can do this too, even if you don’t carry a purse!
What does this mean for you as a business owner? Well, you’re a consumer too, right?
- Buy recycled paper products for your business.
- When you replace equipment, make sure it is energy efficient.
- Support environmentally friendly vendors.
- Recycle old equipment responsibly, i.e., batteries, old monitors, printers, cell phones. Earth 911 lists where you can do this type recycling all over the United States.
- Invest your money in socially and environmentally responsible ways.
I have taken the One In a Million Pledge to shift $1,000 of my spending to environmentally friendly products (I’ve actually been doing this for some time). Will you join me?