Getting lots of people to reply to you in some manner is an art more than a science. In this day of info-glut, it is amazing that we get as much done as we do, with so much “stuf” to get through and past in our daily work life.
There are some tips and strategies that will make you more likely to get people to interact, which are not based on gimmicks (that’s old school selling).
For fun, pick up this book on Amazon called I’ll Get Back to You. (buy it used through the Amazon Marketplace.) There ARE a lot of gimmicky ideas and tactics that would NOT work in the Sales 2.0 world that we live in now, but, you will get a good laugh and you may get one or two very solid ideas which would be of help.
Main points to remember when working to connect to others:
1. Always be of value. Don’t call or email to sell something. Call or email to learn something.
2. Keep track of what your customers and prospective customers need and want. Know their challenges. Then, when you DO see an article or idea that is a good fit, you are making good use of their time and offering value. This is the basis of a valuable relationship.
3. Value others’ time. It’s the one thing we can’t get back.
4. Don’t ruin your valued relationships by recommending and referring others who may not have as high of standards as you do.
5. Be clear. In a voice mail, say who you are, and “the purpose of my call is….” – get right to the point.
6. If someone does not reply to your email, and you know it is of value, consider re-sending it with a new message saying, “Did you see this?”. Things DO end up in the trash folder and sometimes people really don’t see what you sent. It happens all the time.
7. Know that no reply does not mean “NO”. It may mean that they are busy, or don’t see the value. Consider re-phrasing or communicating another way. No reply to an e-mail? Try a phone call. We all have different styles and preferences.
8. Double up. If you have an important message, send an email and also make a phone call to say that you did send an email. People typically respond quicker when you do this – again, if it is of value.
9. If it is of value means, to THEM, not you. Put yourself in their place.
10. Don’t take yourself so seriously, and have fun. It is reflected in your voice, tone, and message.