In case you missed it we are speaking with Ben McConnell, one of the authors of the well known and respected book “Creating Customer Evangelists”. Ben has agreed to answer several questions posed to him about his book. So let’s take this unique opportunity to get started and see what Ben has to say.
I really appreciate that you are here to spend you valuable time with The Small Business Blog(TM). I really enjoyed that you used real businesses to tell your story and that they ranged from the smallest small business to Fortune 500 companies. I especially enjoyed the Appendices where you broke Customer Evangelism down into distinct steps. I know you talk about it in your book but could you talk a bit on how you spot an Evangelist? I always imagine balding old men with Spock ears when I read ‘spot an Evangelist’ but I guess that is your point, isn’t it?
What types of products might Spock be most passionate about… The dry cleaner who keeps his uniform clean and well-starched? His hair stylist? The Romulan restaurant with the awesome take-out?
Nonetheless, spotting an evangelist is relatively easy. They are:
* Your early adopters.
* People who review your product or service on their blog or website.
* People who send you email or snail-mail thanking you for the joy or value you bring, or complimenting a specific employee.
* People who offer to help you spread the word about your new service.
* People who offer their unsolicited feedback, good or bad.
The next question is, ‘What do you do when any of the above happens?’ Preparation is key, for instance:
* Do you have a plan for dealing with people who love you?
* Do you invite them to join a special company fan club with other enthusiasts?
* Do you ask them to participate in a case study about your product/service?
* Do you ask how they discovered you, how many people they’ve told others and how they might introduce you to other customers?
It takes foresight and preparation to embrace the ones who love you the most. If you prepare for it, customer evangelism can grow beyond your wildest expectations.
– I really enjoyed speaking with Ben McConnell today and I highly recommend his book. Ben is leaving now and will be visiting Todd at A Penny for…. By the way Todd is the creator of the BBBT and is the tour’s last stop so be sure to go by tomorrow. If you are interested in Ben’s book (which you should be) then click the following link and receive 30% off of the normal price: Creating Customer Evangelists . Don’t pass up on this limited time offer. Do it now! Bye. -ed.